Title - National Investigation of Cardiovascular Complications in мetaAbolic syndrome
Brief Title - NICA
Cross-sectional observational study
Principal Investigator - Shlyakhto EV
Scientific Committee - Shlyakhto EV (chairman). Nedogoda S.V.,
Simonova G.I., Konradi A.O.
Turina T.V., Bolshakova O.O., Yemelyanov I.V., Zvartau N.E., Zelninova T.A., Paskar N.A., Poznyakov Yu.M.
Kuleshova E.V., Moroshkin
Statistics. Bondarenko B.B., Solntsev VN, Bart VA.
Despite long-term investigations of the metabolic syndrome (MS) and practical implementation of this term no standard definition of the syndrome is accepted and data of its independent prognostic value are controversial. Nowadays, epidemiology of the syndrome is well studied in West Europe and USA, while data obtained in other regions, in particular in Russian Federation are limited. The prognostic value of MS in Russian population is unknown and the diagnostic criteria specific for the population are not defined. At the same time, regional heterogeneity of risk factors is obvious and can be explained by genetics actors, national features of nutrition, and other behavior factors. Therefore, national study of MS epidemiology and prognostic significance is actual.
Primary Objective: to study epidemiology of risk factors included in MS in Russian Federation, its prognostic value.
- To test impact of different definitions in the epidemiology of MS in Russian Federation and select better criteria according to prognostic value
- To study epidemiology of metabolic syndrome in different regions and ethnic groups in Russian Federation
30 regions of Russian Federation (cities with a population over 500 thousand)
A random sample of 1000 individuals from each region will be examined.
25-75 years (sex and age stratified sample)
Signed informed consent
The study will consist of 3 phases
Cross-sectional population study of the prevalence of MS and its components in Russian Federation
Sample size – 30 000
- height, weight, BMI, waist circumference, hip circumference, neck circumference
- fasting blood sampling (glucose, total cholesterol, TG, HDLP) + genetics
- seating blood pressure (mean value from 3 measurements on right arm)
Instrumental and laboratory examination of patients with risk factors (clinical study)
Selection criteria (one ore more of the following)
- BP ≥ 130/85 mm Hg
- Waist circumference ≥80 sm in females and ≥ 94 in males and/or BMI ≥25 kg/m2
- Dyslipidemia (elevated TG (1,7 mmol/l and/or decreased level of HDLP or therapy for high triglyceride level)
- fasting glucose ≥5,6 mmol/l
Associated clinical conditions (stroke, TIA, IHD, MI, heart failure, renal disease, diabetes mellitus)
Severe concomitant diseases (cancer, liver, kidney)
List of laboratory tests OGTT
CRP, leptin, adiponectin, insulin (fasting and 2 hour ORTT). homocystein levels
Thyroid hormone levels
Genetic studies (to be discussed)
List of instrumental tests Echocardiography
- Carotid artery ultrasound (IMT)
- Pulse wave velocity, arterial stiffness and augmentation index (in selected sites)
- Heart rate variability indexes (in selected sites)
- Home blood pressure measurement (4 times per day 2 days)
- Holter monitoring and ABPM
- Densitometry (in selected sites)
- MRI of visceral fat (in selected sites)
- Screening test for obstructive sleep apnea (in selected sites)
- Sleep apnea
- Depression and anxiety scale
- Cognitive dysfunction (MMSE)
- Quality of life (SF36).
Primary – combined cardiovascular endpoint (cardiovascular death, stroke, MI)
Fatal and nonfatal stroke